What if, instead of focusing on...
- It would be very hard to do.
- There are some things about it we wouldn't like.
- What would we be giving up?
- How could we get back this life if things didn't work out?
- How do we hold onto this life and still get the benefits we want from the alternate life?
- Would it be a big mistake?
- We might not have enough money.
- We might be throwing everything away on a pipe dream life.
- It would be too hard.
...we decided to spend more time on:
- It would be really interesting
- There are many things about it we would cherish.
- What would we be gaining?
- I wonder what could happen next that we can't see from here?
- What would we be removing that sucks our souls?
- What could we learn and build on, even if it doesn't work out?
- There are no mistakes, only choices, their outcomes, and what comes next.
- Less is in our control than we like to think, anyway.
- What would it take to make it happen?
- What concrete things could we do in the next year to get from here to there?
- It would change everything.
What if we shifted the focus of the dialogue from why shouldn't we, to questions like, what could it look like, why would we want to, how could we pull it off?